Cellphone footage of a police officer apparently kicking a handcuffed man has led to criminal investigations and four officers being put on leave.

Gabriel Narcisse-Beckford, 28, who was accused of stealing candy, told officers after his arrest that he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia but had not been taking his medications, a police report said.

During a late afternoon press conference Thursday, Officer Chris Swinson said the Broward state attorney’s office and the police department are both investigating the incident. The police department is also conducting an internal affairs probe.

“Chief [Clyde] Parry said yesterday he was concerned about what he viewed,” Swinson said. “I think we’re going to be completely transparent on exactly what we find. But it would be inaccurate for us to make statements when we haven’t thoroughly investigated.”

Clerks at the 7-24 Sun Mart Store at 7811 W. Sample Rd. told police on Tuesday night that Narcisse-Beckford stole two Butterfinger candy bars and a bottle of Canada Dry ginger ale worth $4.21.

Police reports described a violent encounter between Narcisse-Beckford and several officers.

At about 10:13 p.m., Detective Anabely Escarpita drove to the store and found Narcisse-Beckford walking through a parking lot. He ignored two commands from her to stop and walked into Sample Road traffic, first in front of a police car driven by Officer David Anderson and then in front of a second car.

Both drivers avoided him.

When Escarpita tried to grab Narcisse-Beckford, she wrote in her report that he got in a fighting stance. Anderson hit Narcisse-Beckford with a closed fist.

Escarpita and Anderson and Narcisse-Beckford all ended up on the asphalt in traffic lanes on Sample Road, with Escarpita trapped beneath the men.

Escarpita felt Narcisse-Beckford try to remove her gun from the holster, while she pushed it down to prevent him from taking it, according to the report.

She was able to use her legs to push Narcisse-Beckford — who jail records say is 6 feet tall and weighs 350 pounds — off her.

Anderson used a stun gun on Narcisse-Beckford, who fell to the ground and was handcuffed by Escarpita and Officer Michael Snyder.

At that point Narcisse-Beckford yelled, “All this for a soda?” and “Why didn’t you just shoot me? I tried to get her gun! Don’t you guys just kill people?” the report said.

While cuffed and sitting on the curb, Narcisse-Beckford was agitated, and, according to the report, said, “I tried to get her gun. I wanted to shoot myself.”

Detective Sandy Gomez thought Narcisse-Beckford was trying to stand up, and kicked him in his right shoulder and neck area, according to Gomez’s police report.

One of the people who , “I could not believe that this was actually happening right in front of me.”

Three people required medical care: Narcisse-Beckford was taken to Broward Health Coral Springs to be examined after the stun gun exposure. Escarpita’s right hand was cut and her left elbow was swollen and bruised. Anderson had a swollen right wrist, reports said.

During a court appearance Wednesday, Narcisse-Beckford, who lives in Coral Springs, told Judge Kim Theresa Mollica he works from home and does not own a car.

He is facing charges of petit theft, first offense; battery on an officer; resisting an officer without violence; resisting an officer with violence and obstructing an officer’s means of protecting herself.

Mollica set bonds totaling $2,000 and told Narcisse-Beckford he is not allowed to return to the 7-24 Sun Mart. He was still being held in jail Thursday afternoon.

Swinson, the police department spokesman, said a second video has surfaced of the incident and that the police chief wants to take time to see what other evidence is gathered.

“Is there anything missing?” Swinson said. “Are there different angles of cameras?”

Though only one officer appears in one of the videos to have kicked Narcisse-Beckford, Swinson said four officers were put on paid administrative leave because they all were involved in the incident and know what went on.

“The best thing to do is to separate them from other things and try to get information or their statements so they can explain to all of of us that weren’t there what happened,” Swinson said.

He could not say how long the three investigations may take.

He asked anyone who may have witnessed the arrest to call and ask for the [Coral Springs Police] Office of Professional Standards.

“The more information we get, the more accurately they can conduct their investigation,” Swinson said.

LJTrischitta-sentinel, or Twitter