/ Horses are spooked as the Woolsey Fire moves through the property on Cornell Road near Paramount Ranch on November 9, 2018, in Agoura Hills, California.
Share this story
The currently burning in Los Angeles County has destroyed much of the , a key feature of The site was where the Main Street scenes in Westworld were filmed.
The news was first announced Friday by the National Park Service, which manages the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area.
We are sorry to share the news that the has burned Western Town at in Agoura. We do not have any details or photos, but it is our understanding that the structures have burned. This area is an active part of the incident and we cannot access it.
— Santa Monica Mtns ()
The church featured in the HBO series was also built on the ranch and appears to be still standing, according to a tweet from cast member Evan Rachel Wood, who plays the sentient android Dolores Abernathy.
This is eerie. So sad for the history lost. Amazed the church is still standing.
— #EvanRachelWould ()
It is not yet clear how the fire will affect production of the show.
“Paramount Ranch was one of the locations used during seasons one and two of Westworld, in addition to the primary location at Melody Ranch in Santa Clarita,” Quentin Schaffer, an HBO spokesperson, said in a statement sent to Ars.
“Westworld is not currently in production, and as the area has been evacuated, we do not yet know the extent of the damage to any structures remaining there. Most importantly, our thoughts go out to all those affected by these horrible fires.”
Paramount Ranch was also used in the production of numerous and going back decades, including Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
Below are some pre-fire photographs of the facility, curated from the Twitter account and the website:
- A horseman appears to lead a tour of the shooting set. Paramount Pictures began leasing the ranch in 1927. National Park Service
- The Paramount Ranch also hosted the Night Sky Festival, a summer event to observe stars and other celestial phenomena.
- In the winter, there were also Star Parties held at the ranch. The Westworld church can be seen in the background.
- This building with a red balcony is one of the buildings in Western Town at Paramount Ranch that are presumed destroyed.
- A 19th-century style wagon, as seen on the Paramount Ranch.
- The Paramount Ranch as seen during a film shoot.
- Who wouldn‘t want a room at the Mud Bug Hotel?